Sunday, September 11, 2011

Star Wars: The Next Generation

Some months back, we were flipping through channels on TV when we saw that Star Wars: The Clone Wars cartoon was on. Evan wanted to watch it, but Jojo didn't so Evan complained that he was the only one interested in Star Wars in the house. I told him that wasn't true - Daddy loved Star Wars since he was a kid. I explained to them that Star Wars was just three movies when Daddy was a kid, and these cartoons came out much later. To my surprise, they seriously thought I was pulling their legs.

And so started the search for a Star Wars Original Trilogy DVD set. I searched all the DVD stores, and had another surprise - there weren't any Episode IV, V and VI DVD sets any more. They'd stopped producing them because the Blu-Ray edition was coming out later this year. We don't have a Blu-Ray player, so rather than purchase one and wait till the Blu-Ray edition comes out, I continued my search on eBay and more stores. I found a lot of those abominable Episode I, II and III DVDs, and I refused to buy them. In fact, I want my kids to grow up not even knowing these movies exist.

Fast forward a couple of months, and I suddenly came across the Original Trilogy DVDs in, of all places, Toys R Us. Bought them for Father's Day, and we spent this weekend watching all the movies. The result? Now Evan and Jojo can't stop talking about Star Wars, and tonight, our LEGO set has now seen some interesting creations:

X-Wing Fighter
TIE Fighter
Command Center with Princess Leia
(Jojo made this entirely on her own!)
R2D2
(built from a LEGO trash can!)
 For Cynthia, the best part probably was when Evan came up to her after the last movie looking very shocked, saying "Mummy, Darth Vader is DEAD!" For me, I've already given myself a pat on the back for birthing a whole new generation of Star Wars fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment